Saturday, January 24, 2009

what up

so...i spent the last week in a village called kaihoura in the west of uganda, near fort portal, volunteering with and organization called "bringing hope to the family." I painted a mural, hauled bricks, played with orphans, helped dig a well, and ate good food. it was a superb experience. the land was so beautiful with rolling hills and lush valleys. the other mzungus were interesting and fun to hang out with. it was a nice trip out of hot, hot jinja, but while i was away, things changed. jinja is now cool and damp and rainy. kind of like homer summer. i'm not sure if it will stay this way, but i do like wearing long pants and sleeves.

i am back at the mzungu mansion today and attending some graduation parties this afternoon. Tomorrow, i'll be off again for the north. i'm going to visit Pader district and the village of Patongo with Joyce, one of our fabulous Suubi ladies. I am very excited. We have been planning this trip since before Christmas. I have heard so many stories from our Suubi ladies about their villages, I want to see how the picture i have made in my head matches up with reality. I will let you know next week when i return. And I'll post more photos too. There is a new guy monitoring internet at peace and love and hope and harmony internet cafe who is not as good lenient as mike so i only have one minute for real.

i hope all is well with everyone out there. I will see some of you soon (only one more month!)

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Amberle,

My name is Heather, and I'm applying to volunteer with LGH for 3 months this summer. My original plan of volunteering with Invisible Children didn't work out, but I'm still really interested in visiting Gulu and some of the surrounding villages if I can. Rachel Stroud told me that LGH doesn't go up to Gulu regularly, but I read in this entry that you were planning on going up to that area with one of the Suubi women. Is it pretty accessible by bus? I guess I'm wondering if it would be possible for me to do that this summer, if one of the women wanted to take me.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying your blog.