Wednesday, December 3, 2008

ode to ugandan children....


oh how i love the ugandan children.
i love the way they wave and scream "hi, how are you?" I love the way they run and hang on the back of the van, even when ladies jump out and chase them with sticks. I love the way they will give you high-5's over and over and over. I love their snots and spots and slime. I adore the way they cling to the Suubi building and repeat after me, even though I never said "repeat after me."
Ugandan children chew sugar cane and small sticks and rocks and sometimes each other or my hand. They are deathly afraid of dogs, but will cross the street in front of a careening matatu. They will introduce themselves by kneeling in front of you and shaking your hand.
I love the Ugandan children that say "You are round, like a jackfruit" and remember the hokey pokey from weeks ago: "mkono in, mkono out, la-laaa-la-la"

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks for all your blogging. I've enjoyed staying connected and living vicariously through your story-telling. Thanks for everything you are doing, you're an inspiration and I appreciate all you are doing!